Thursday, September 14, 2006

Purple Showers


I am in Florida this week, enjoying a few days of vacation in Sarasota. The friends with whom I am staying have this amazing plant by the pool -- a "purple showers" plant. Each morning the plant is covered in perfect purple blossoms. The problem is that the flowers only last one day. The plant is covered with flowers throughout the day but the flowers all fall off at night. You get to enjoy the beauty during the day, but the plant becomes pretty much like every other plant at night. And yet, beauty comes again in the morning. New flowers appear each morning.

God, help me not to miss the purple showers in my life. May the blossoms of beauty linger a little longer so all can catch a glimpse of your grace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that plant.

I've seen it growing in Tennessee and I've taken clippings of the plant placing it in water through winter months letting roots form so it can be put outdoors up North in the Summer time.