Wednesday, March 28, 2018

A Place at the Table

I got my hair cut by a new person yesterday afternoon. I arrived at the appointed time, settled into the chair, and listened to a glimpse of his story. He’s a new dad of a child born with a surrogate mom, a child who has two dads. 

I shared how I’m the pastor of a couple whose deepest prayer was answered through surrogacy. 

His mouth dropped. 

He literally stopped. 

I wasn’t sure he would continue. 

I finally said, “You, your partner and your child would be abundantly welcome at my church. I’m a pastor - but of a fully inclusive church.” 

We then had a conversation on hypocrisy and judgement as he asked why people hate his family. I’m still not sure he believed me when I said they would be welcome at MVP.

I then met my dear friend, Alisa, for coffee at Barnes and Noble. Anyone who knows Alisa knows she is a person of prayer - a woman who I have seen get down on her knees and pray on a rooftop of a restaurant. It came time for our conversation to end - but not without praying together for each other and the responsibilities we have this week and on Easter. Alisa took my hands and held them across the table. I said, “Everyone will think we are a cute, lesbian couple.” Alisa repeated my words, and a man looked upon us with horrid disdain and fierce judgement in his eyes. 


It was another wake up moment for me about how many deeply committed couples are unable to share expressions of love in public without facing hatred or judgement.
Last night, I vowed to again do all I can to build a community where all are welcome, where love is celebrated, where the church is known for what it is for instead of who it is against, where “all” truly means “all.”

Will you build this community with me?

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Pastor, I read your article about race in the UMC news. Then I read this. Every time I read the UMC news there is something about the Church repenting from past and present injustices about race, Native American ministries, sexism in the Church, etc. It hurts. But here we are about to do it again: we lament the Central Jurisdiction as a "seperate but unequal" institution. But on the eve of the 50th anniversary of the UMC we are considering splitting the church into separate "Jurisdictions" or to maintain the unBiblical and destructive stance in our Book of Discipline, to fire and to suspend and to turn away talented and spiritually driven leaders, to perpetuate the UMC's destructive and unChristian prejudice against people like me, Christians who love someone of the same sex.
I really want to celebrate God's abundant love for all of His children, to join with my fellow Christians in service and joy, but the UMC as an organization, doesn't want people like me there. I am a Methodist, I belong to the Church. My local Church is wonderful, but the elephant in the room sits heavy on my chest these days....
Thanks for your witness.